Thread: Street cats
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

It's very possible that they are someone's pets and they just roam outside. Not everyone owns animals just to keep them indoors. We have two cats that live outside that do a wonderful job keeping mice, probably snakes and other critters away (we live in the country). When it's really cold, we know that they have ways to get in my husband's big shop outside so they can get comfortable.

I've never been a big fan of people who let their animals roam (my husband's uncle has a dog that roams the entire countryside) but out in the country, it's not unusual to have cats outside - we used to call them barn cats.

Whatever you do, if you don't want them to become a permanent fixture on your porch, don't feed them! If they look malnourished, you can call someone to pick them up but if they look healthy and aren't bothering you, I would just let them be. Yes, I would think they are cold also but chances are they have a warmer place they could be if they wanted to (well, maybe not warmer - just not an icy area). Animals that are used to being outside adjust to the cold better than we think they would.

Last edited by TatumsMom; 01-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
TatumsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!