View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Joey is the first young puppy I've ever had. I've read that Yorkies are more difficult, so I was prepared to follow the rules of crate training. It makes it so much easier because they inherently don't like to mess their bed. You have to use a small crate that only gives them enough room to stand up, and turn around in, or otherwise they will pee, on one side and sleep in the other. You take them out every couple of hours and put them either outside, or on a pad, after they do their business they get a treat, if they don't go, you put them back in the crate for another hour. If they go, they are allowed to play outside the crate for a few minutes while being supervised. We used the crate at night and he had a playpen during the day. If you use the crate at night you don't have to do the playtime afterwards, but we did give a treat. He actually used the pad in the playpen from the start, and learned to use a pee pad on the wood floors, but we had carpet in other rooms and this took longer. Here's a picture of the carseat/carrier bedtime crate we used. Snoozer Pet Products 86 - Wheel Around Travel Pet Carrier in Red. We still use it for a car seat, and occationally he'll run and jump in it, meaning he wants to go somewhere.

This site has lots of good tips. Free House Training for Puppies and Adult Dogs - No More Accidents Starting Today! Remember yorkies are smaller than other breeds, and sometimes can't hold it as long.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 01-29-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!