Thread: Crate size?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
SRD
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellington View Post
I'm just trying to get everything ready for when my little Riot comes home in a few weeks and had a question about crate sizes.

I was looking at these two sizes:

22"L x 13"W x 16"H
Life Stages Double Door Dog Crate 22 L x 13W x 16H

24"L x 18"W x 21"H
Life Stages Small Double Door Crate 24"L x 18"W x 21"H
I know for training purposes it needs to be fairly small until he learns to potty elsewhere, but the extra small just seems so tiny. They both come with dividers that can be used to make it smaller in the beginning...I'm just wondering what would be best---when they get older and fully house trained do they still prefer the smaller space or would there be any setbacks or backtracking if the divider was to be taken out making the crate bigger??
congratulations on your new puppy
for training purposes, like you said, smaller the better(enough room to stand up and turn around though), but with dividers, a slightly larger crate will work just fine(not too large though as you can only divide the length of the crate not the width).
later on after the puppy is fully house trained, it really depends on what you use the crate for. when my girl was little, before house trained(potty trained though), I had a larger crate for her to use as a play/sleep/eat area, a larger crate would be better because there is a little extra room for her to move around and play. now she is fully house trained (almost 3), I recent got her a smaller crate to use just as a day bed(she sleeps with me at night), or some place of her own when she wants some peace and quiet, in this case, you don't need an XL one.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!