Thread: Any day!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Was this a planned breeding or an accident? Do you know how many times they bred? How big is the female and male?

Here is a good article on whelping puppies that will let you know what to expect:
Whelping Dogs

You do not need to use gloves to handle the puppies but always wash your hands well before and during the whelping.

It is best to wait several days before giving the momma a bath. If she get real messy you can wipe her down with a wet warm washcloth.

Your females should not be left alone at this stage. It is best if you take her temperature twice a day. Usually right before whelping the temperature will drop to 99 or below and stay down but that is not always a sure indication. Often the temperature will be lower in the morning if the bitch has not eaten and her blood sugar is low then the temperature might go back up.

My advice is to not let the momma deliver the pups on her own. I always break the sack and cut the cord my self. If you let the momma do it then you are risking letting her cut the cord too short and injuring the puppy.

For the actual whelping I recommend using disposable bed pads that can be purchased at Wal-mart in the area where they sell Depends. These pads make cleanup so much easier.

I do wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!