View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Today was my first time working with this rescue by me and I helped out at the pet adoption. It is so sad to see all these dogs with no forever homes. Most are in foster homes but the rescue has been so inundated with rescues due to the economy she has some in kennels. A lady dropped off a min pin that she said her kids were terrorizing. She adopted her 6 months from some where else. This poor baby was so scared and kept looking for her owner. I spent a lot of time trying to reassure her and get her use to being approached as she was scared of hands. She is going to have an adoption day every Saturday at the same doggy day care so I am going to help out 2-3 times a month. I cannot say enough how much respect I have for people who do rescue and those who open their hearts to these babies.
What a really great thing you are doing volunteering. Rescues are always looking for people to help in so many different ways. Everyone doesn't have to be a foster mom to help out. Every little bit helps with the little ones, whether it is to donate a few dollars, work at an adoption event, raise awareness, sign a petition or volunteer to work at an event. It all helps in the end. This is what I am always trying to encourage as well. What rescue are you working with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely_momma View Post
I wish more people from here would do it. Then maybe they would understand why I get so worked up over thinsg like irresponsible breeding.

Good for you! I hope you dont become so "messed up" from the experiances as i have. I reaaally do.

Word of advice, when you ahve been there more often, and if they ever ask you to hold one of the poor things if one has to be PTS. dont do it.
If she is working with a rescue they do not put any to sleep for nonmedical related issues~they would have to have such a serious medical issue that it could not be treated. I volunteer for a rescue but could never volunteer at a kill shelter.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!