View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
hugz4all4
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandysDaddy View Post
1/2 cup 2 times a day isn't much for a mastiff at all. Full-grown or puppy. Neither is 1/2 cup 3 times a day. Growing up, my mom had a st. bernard mix- he could eat all our dogs out of house and home. If I remember correctly, when he was a puppy he at about 2 1/2-3 cups at a time three times a day. Full grown he had 3 cups a day twice a day. Anyway, I'm not sure about big dogs eating puppy food as most of my experience is in smaller breeds. However, my rule of thumb for when I switch my pups off the puppy formula and to the dog is whenever they look like they're not growing anymore and, instead, they're getting fat.

I feed my 5 pound 4 month old puppy a 1/2 a cup three times a day, I cant imagine that a puppy of that size could be thriving on that. No wonder she is acting hungry all the time. Do the premium brands sell large puppy food or is that just another marketing ploy?? I know that bigger dogs are prone to hip problems if they grow to fast so that is why they take them off puppy food earlier than smaller dogs. I think if you did a internet search on large breed dogs you may find the answers you are looking for.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!