View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Bentleys Momma
YT 500 Club Member

Yes, to clarify... he is running out the door if it is opened by someone coming in or going out of our home. Whenever we have a planned outing he is always on a harness prior to exiting our home. Also our home is not really designed where he can see much from the front door so it would have to be the smells or just the excitement that is getting him. Anyway,

With so much thought on this today that my head is hurting , I think I need to extend our training sessions to include the dumb humans which Bentley owns and he will now need to be invited prior to entering / exiting whenever any closed door is opened. Since we have been allowing him to go in and out the back as he sees fit since we are always in and out, perhaps he is simply just not realizing the difference between the two doors (one being a safe back yard and the other being the unknown place where danger could show its ugly head at any moment).

To answer the other question... he is 7-1/2 mos old and has not yet been neutered but that question also brought me a pint of hope thinking that perhaps his wandering efforts will also subside a bit when we finally has his "brain surgery". My vet is wanting him just a little bit older before performing that operation. So I really appreciate that thought.

Until we have this under control, I have also decided to put a baby gate on the outside of our home across the front door. That way, when the door is opened he will have no where to go.

Thanks everyone! I am feeling much better now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!