View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

This is a post from another forum. It is not mine. I cannont vouch for it's accuracy but it is disturbing.

Maybe you all know this already, but I just learned it the hard way: TEA TREE OIL IS POISONOUS TO DOGS AND CATS. My dog Momo is okay now, but I STUPIDLY put some tea tree oil on his paws and a few hours later, he could not stand up. We rushed to the vet ER and he required IV flushing, activated charcoal, discussion with Poison Control, overnight monitoring, and an extreme bath. I have since researched this online and apparently it is widely known to be toxic -- so this is not unique to my dog. SOMETIMES it is used in very diluted amounts in dog shampoo and as a flea or tick repellent; but personally, I would urge you to research it before using it IN ANY AMOUNT. (That is what I should have done!) It is just as dangerous when it is absorbed through the skin as when it is ingested orally and causes NEUROLOGICAL REACTIONS and can cause LIVER DAMAGE. THANK GOD there was a good doctor at the ER that night to make up for my own idiocy. Anyway, I hope this will prevent this from happening to everyone elses pets....Oddly enough, it is not included on any of the lists of things that are toxic to dogs...if we have a list, maybe we should add it....THANK YOU.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!