View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Ip

I tried several ways at first..what worked best for me was to go to local shows and watch the handlers. Get a reference from other peopple who hire a handler. Get a catolog and call the them if you can not talk to them at ringside..most owners are not there.
If you have a toy dog, get a Known Yorkie handler...I tried a cheap hound handler and a Boston Terrier handler..waste of time and money. A Yorkie handler knows what judge likes what type dog. IMO that is so important..they also know how to turn it out to perfection..something a non-coated handler struggles with..JMO. The Boston handler wanted to get known in the Yorkie ring and gave me a big discount..it was wasted money also. He did not know how to groom well enough to compete with the pro Yorkie handler..fortunately, I learned these things in one or two shows.

My second experince was not good either. I paid for the handler and got an assistant, but agreement was for the handler herself!!..I happened to come to the show having told the handler I could not..assistant was late for the class, not prepared and did not know the back of a Yorkie from the front as to grooming..needless to say our relationship ended. Sometimes it is very hard to find a handler who handlers one or two dogs..as I perfer. I found the best who only took out one Dog and bitch until they were finished. It took 1 to 3 months to finish.

I, personally perfer not to deliver the dog at ring side for the handler to show only. It is not easy parting with your dog, but I wanted it finished as fast as possible..and the handler is a grooming professional, will keep the coat up and train also...you need every bit of edge you can get.

It is good to walk around the dog show, see how the handler treats the dog.
I was refered to one of the best..saw him at a Baltimore show...followed him back to his grooming area to talk to him..he had no less then 25 dogs to show that day, the area was an assembly line..of course he could only show a few himself, so he had a slew of assistants..it was not for me.
Best wishes
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!