View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
You cannot overfeed a puppy, put this out of your mind. If you are providing healthy nutritious food, they will not overeat. Dogs grow in spurts and Yorkies come in many different sizes. Your might have a dog that reaches 9 pounds full grown, but this is still a very small dog. Many breeders recommend free feeding and this means that you have food available at all times, the dog will not become overweight. After the age of around 8 months, a dog can become overweight, they are no longer growing bones and teeth, and excess calories will turn into fat, but if you only feed kibble, dogs generally won't overeat. Go easy on the treats, I think they can ruin a dogs appetite for nutritious food, and also cause excessive gain, but your dog is the size nature intended it to be, and withholding food won't make it more petite, it will only make it more unhealthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
Well there isn't a weight standard with poodles ...it's height only. That being said ...size isn't limited genetically to just the parents. This can go back 3 generations. Because she is not solely yorkie it has to be considered. I have seen 12 week old poodles that weigh 4 pounds.

I would feed whatever the recommended amount on whatever food you are feeding and increase her activity to eliminate any overweight issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
A 12 week old puppy is not overweight. Please do not cut back on her food. She will probably be around 10 pounds full grown, larger than the Yorkie standard, but she's a mixed breed so there is no standard. She will grow as big as she is genetically supposed to.
Well said ladies!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!