View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
gramsof1
Yorkie Yakker

Default Feeding

Hi,

Tiki eats probably twice a day. We always have her dry kibbles in one bowl. She never touches it by the way.
She won't eat out of the cute little doggie bowl with paw prints on it that we bought. Just refused to eat. My neighbor suggested trying a small flat white plate. so that is now what her meals are served on. She eats about 1/4 cup of kibbles and I cook chicken breast (suggested by the vet) and mix about one tablespoon with her food. I don't cook it daily though. I cook about 5 breast fillets at a time, chop them up small and freeze them in those little snack size bags. Nuke it for 20 seconds and add to the kibbles.

We stopped using Royal Canin because of the wheat content. Vet said wheat is not good for them. We use Nutro Ultra minis for adult dogs and we mix it with Solid Gold minis for dogs. We just got a sample size bag of Halo organic dog food to try. We added a small amount of it to the other kibbles. It is made of salmon and veggies. It gives her a variety too. She does love green beans and peas too. She is just under 7 1/2 pounds.

Did I mention she has us trained?? Well trained?

The vet said she is very healthy. She has a small amount of tarter on her back teeth and will probably have to have that removed this year. Other than that her teeth are wonderful She gets them brushed every night before bed and the groomer told us about this spray that they use that helps prevent tarter. So instead of spraying it, my husband puts some on his finger and rubs it onto the tooth surfaces.

We bought a rope chewie toy when we first got her. The vet sid since it is mde of all cotton, it would not hurt her if she swallwoed some of it. We try to stop her from doing that but she does LOVE to chew on them. We found one that actually has green dental floss mixed within the rest of the strings. She loves it too. We really are extra careful with her teeth because we don't want to have any taken out - at least not for a long while. The vet said it is almost inevitible and she said she has never seen like a 9 or 10 yr old Yorkie with all the teeth.

We do love her a lot!

Myrna
gramsof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!