View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Question Energy level all over the place

Can someone tell me if this is normal for a small dog?

I think of Thor as extremely energetic, and generally try to walk or play fetch with him for 90 minutes / day. I usually take him to the park for an hour or so in the afternoon. Before the park, he usually starts shaking a bit. It doesn't seem to make a difference if he's eaten or not. Afterwards, he doesn't shake.

At the same time, he eats very little food and is very skinny. I can feel every bump on his spine when I pet him. I calculated how many calories he takes in based on his dog food and it was 100 kcal / day! Mostly he's just picky. He inhaled 'Solid Gold Wee Bits' for a few weeks, and now he won't touch it. Same for oranges. I believe he's naturally skinny, because if he gets very tasty, high fat snacks, he won't eat anything else. He seems to have a set calorie point (wish I could say the same for myself!). I don't want to feed him high-calorie food, because I think he'd end up eating nothing but fatty proteins.

Anyway, I include all this because some days he sleeps the ENTIRE day. Like, he's literally up for maybe two hours total. Otherwise he just snoozes on my bed. Is this normal?? It seems to me that if I get him up because I'm going to work, or I cook something, he's motivated to get out of bed and bounce around. Otherwise, he just dozes.

Today is one of those days, and when I went to pet him, he was shaking. I tried to give him some kibble and he didn't eat it. But he didn't get up. I think I could hear his little tummy growling too.

I would think he'd shake either because of nerves or hypoglycemia. But if he won't eat, is it hypoglycemia? And if he's not jumpy, can it be nerves???

Thanks for reading this incredibly long post.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!