View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
MauiGirl
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hi and WELCOME to YorkieTalk!

I love hearing how a Yorkie completely wins the heart of a guy who was not that in to small dogs. It has happened in our home to, my two furry girls have their skin dad wrapped around their little paws.

Sorry you're having some eating problems, and glad you are watching her closely. I am by no means an expert, but have gotten excellent advice and knowledge from other members on YT. I don't think backing off food for one day is a crisis, as long as she is still drinking water. Mine have had days when they don't eat as much, maybe associated with teething, or upset tummy when dad spoiled them with a bite of fatty people food, or can happen when they are coming in heat, or when they become bored with a particular brand of kibble. Continue to watch her for any additional symptoms, and if she absolutely refuses any food for another day, see the vet.

You might offer her something like a little boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or some scrambled egg. If you think she is constipated, give her a little canned pumpkin (plain, no spices); this is also good for diarrhea and other gastro problems.

Don't change dog foods abruptly. If you are changing kibble, do it very gradually, mixing new with the old slowly increasing over 2-3 weeks to avoid digestive problems. There is a sticky note about dog food reviews in the Health and Diet section, you might look into that if you are looking for a better quality food. My first pup came home on Eukanuba too, and I soon found out it wasn't the best.

Good luck and keep up posted.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!