View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
JiggityJig
YT 1000 Club Member

Question Won't play, won't lick???

HELLO old yorkie friends! It's been a long time since I've visited here. Much has changed in our yorkie family!

For one thing, a few months ago we were given a two year old male yorkie from people who just didn't want him anymore. He's adorable, but they just weren't "yorkie" people. (let's face it...we're a special breed! lol)

He belonged to a teen girl who wasn't home often. I think she loved him, but noone else in the family wanted anything to do with him. When we got him, he'd been living in the garage (in the middle of the Texas summer. Grrrr.)

He is a sweet and love-starved little dog, so we feel bad, but we're having a hard time "connecting" to him.

First, he doesn't know how to play. Not with the other yorkies, not with toys, and not with us. We try to play with him, and he just acts slightly scared, and like he doesn't know what's going on. Sometimes when he's in just the right mood he'll instinctively ALMOST start playfully biting our hands or something, and then he stops all confused, like, "What the heck am I doing?!" lol

Second...he doesn't lick. I know it's dumb, but this makes us so sad! Our girls our big lickers, and we are big lick appreciators. It's nice to feel loved, you know?! lol He loves to cuddle, etc....but he acts like he doesn't even have the IMPULSE to lick--and he acts all affronted when we try to get him to, lol.

OTHER THAN THAT, he seems like a happy little dog. I know he does love us....he DOES do the "ecstatic yorkie" routine when we've been gone and come back, lol. (Not being a licker, he shows his enthusiasm by dancing around on his hind legs, running as fast as he can from one room to the next, chasing the cat if he's handy, and sneezing his head off. )

But the rest of the time, he just doesn't seem to have a lot of personality. We say, "Our other yorkies are furry little humans....but Jim Bob...well, Jim Bob is just a dog". You know how you can look in your yorkies eyes and see their souls?! That just isn't there with Jim Bob. Make sense?!

He also does LOVE to be close to us. He's definitely a lap dog! He wants to be right by our sides at all times, and he's completely relaxed and trusting with us. He LOOOOVES to get loved on!

Another plus is that in his former home, he was very (VERY!) dog-aggressive. We also have witnessed this (outside our home) a few times, but strangely, he's never had an issue with our dogs.

So it feels nice that we've been able to "save" him and give him a nice loving home.

Thanks for reading this loooong post, if you have! I guess my questions are:

///Does anyone else have a yorkie who won't play? Is that a normal personality trait for some, or could it be related to his environment for the first two years of his life? And if so, is it still possible that he'll come around?

and

///Does anyone else have a yorkie who just does NOT lick? (and ditto all the follow up questions from above)

also

///Does anyone else have a dog who SNEEZES when they're excited?! lol
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!