View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
lemonlauren
YT Addict

I could be wrong, so please don't quote me on this... but I think the main two reasons for poop being really stinky are food not digesting well enough, or parasites. If she's otherwise healthy, I'd look at the food. Food allergies or crappy food can cause stinky poops, I think. We are having this problem ourselves right now, so I'm trying to do some research on it as well.

We feed Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul, and Nikko's poop is consistently pretty soft (though firmer in the mornings!?!?) and really really stinky, like I-wanna-puke-when-I-smell-it-stinky. There's a slight possibility he still has parasites, but we're pretty sure we got rid of them all. The problem for us is that Chicken Soup is the best brand any shop around here sells - we kinda live a bit out in the middle of nowhere. So we're considering switching to Raw, a prey model diet. That way we don't have to deal with pet stores - everything we'd feed, we could find in our local grocery store. I've heard poops on raw are teeny, infrequent, solid, and even tend to dry up and blow away in the wind! Sounds like a dream come true at this point, on top of the other anecdotal reports of health benefits.

But if you're not into the raw thing, check into what kibble you're feeding... something may not be digesting right, and there's always a different/better kibble to try. What do you feed now?

Lauren & Nikko
lemonlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!