wemple2
Wee Winston Wiggles
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Winston is having seizures, right?
What has been ruled out and how?
What is the diagnosis?
On the average these episodes happen a couple times a month...they look like a seizure to me, but he does not come out of it on his own...he only comes out of it after being given glucose, such as NutriCal or Karo syrup.
The first time this happened, I just happened to be home sick myself during the week...I rushed him to the vets, which is only a couple blocks from my house. Their first thought was heat stroke, but it was March in Illinois it was not that hot. They rushed him back and started him on IV's, the only thing they found out of the ordinary was a dangerously low glucose reading of 25. They kept him in CCU until he was able to eat on his own and his sugar didn't drop. So, then we were trying to find a reason for this, I told her there were toadstool type mushrooms in our yard, I usually try to destroy them but they pop up overnight and maybe I missed one...maybe he tried to eat one. She did some checking and found hypoglycemia was a symptom of ingesting these. So we thought that was that and I'd have to be more careful with him outside. But then the seizures continued.
Testing: Complete Chemistry
Complete Blood Count
Fecal Test
Urinalysis
Glucose Tolerance
Thyroid Profile
Bile Acid Testing
Cortisol Test
Liver Profile
Electrolyte Test
Lipid Profile
Chest X-ray
KUB-Abdomen X-ray
Ct Scan Chest
Ct scan Abdomen
I guess that's it, any suggestions?
My regular vet referred him to a vet in Internal Medicine, her suggestions were...to put him back on puppy food, frequent small feedings, 6 times a day. Check his blood sugar at home at the very first sign of a seizure (it's always low) and immediately after a seizure (most always a low normal). Possible liver biopsy for glycogen storage, which I have not done. May need hypoglycemic agent, which I have not done.
He is also on (Valium) diazepam 2.5mg twice a day. It was suggested to try Prednisone...as it has the side effect of raising ones blood sugar...but I would rather not use this if at all possible.
Insulinoma was pondered, but ruled out, due to his age at the time, breed and testing done thus far. All of the vets he has seen so far, and he's been seen by several, think it is not epileptic seizures, but hypoglycemic seizures.
So that brings us up to date on Winston...his last episode was January 10th.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!