View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
luckylady
Living My Yorkie Dream
Donating Member

Getting a yorkie baby at 6 weeks???? OMG, that is way to early! My pups were probably not even fully weaned from their mom at that age & still just learning to eat puppy mush. I can't even imagine letting a pup from a bigger breed go that soon.

The first obvious reason would be their size. Look at a 6-8 week old yorkie pup compared to a 6-8 week old lab pup. Big difference! Puppies of all breeds need to stay with thier mom & siblings longer also to learn socialization skills; all that play fighting siblings do and that the pups do with mom is not just playing, it's learning. I remember when my female seemed to be being mean to her pups; yet I learned she was actually teaching them or correcting them in what was acceptable in the pack & what was not. If a pup is taken from it's family too soon, it will not have enough time to learn those things & have socialization issues later on. Yorkie pups are also prone to getting low blood suger (hypoglycemia). If this is not caught & treated right away a young pup (or even not so young) could actually die from it.

These are just a few of MY reasons not to let a yorkie puppy go. IMO, adopting a yorkie puppy out a 6 weeks of age is unthinkable. If my pups were at a good weight & the family they were going to had experiance taking care of yorkies, I might let one go at 10 weeks. But never, NEVER, at 6 weeks. JMO

I hope your neighbor re-thinks about taking in a yorkie puppy so young. I wish her & her puppy good luck.

Last edited by luckylady; 01-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!