View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
kcook323
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsComeTrue View Post
I shave the top 1/3 of the ears with a #10 blade in the shape of an upside down V. Trim the edges very carefully with scissors.

It depends how seriously you want to get into grooming yourself. Are you talking just doing your own Yorkie or professionally? I went to a pet styling school with intense on the job training from a very respected professional (former GroomTeam USA member and she was on the Board of Directors for GroomTeam, etc.). It was very expensive, but well worth the proper training.

If you just want to do your own dog(s), then try to find a groomer that would be willing to show you how. There are many great books out there that can help you (and online helps).

One of the things that makes a bigger difference than some think is proper prepping before the groom. Proper bathing, ear cleaning, nail trimming, proper drying, emptying the anal glands, thorough brushing (go through with a comb after brushing completely to make sure there are no mats), make a huge difference in the end "product." The difficulty also depends on if you want to keep the coat long or learn how to do different types of cuts.

Basically, it depends on how good you want to be and how seriously you want to get into it. Yorkies are one of the easiest/most forgiving breeds for owners to groom at home. If you want to learn more than that, it takes a lot of time, effort, and a good education. Some people go through all that and just don't have the talent, but you learn pretty quickly if you "have it" or not. Hope this helps.
Thank you. Yes, I just want to learn for my own pup (or two , if I can convince my dh), not to go in business. I think the schooling thing is really cool. I never even knew that existed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!