View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Karrie
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Hm. Okay, this is what worked for me, in more detail.

I took Thor to a park and kept him on a very long lead, 25 feet. I sat on a blanket and let him explore, and every time he came back to me, I gave him a treat. Outside, it should be less obvious whether you have a treat or not. You have treats with you, but will you give him one or not? Only you know! If I actually called to him and he returned, I gave him two treats. I also used small pieces of bacon for maximum temptation.

Ultimately, I took him off the lead and let him roam as he wants, periodically returning to me for his treat. Sometimes I'll walk around the park, but the same drill. We practice this several times a week, and it's lots of fun for both of us.

I've also seen "come" practiced with two people. One person hides, and then calls to the dog, and he has to figure out where they are. Or the two people stand about twenty feet apart and the dog runs back and forth between them, collecting his treats.

I would make it purely positive to begin with. However, now that I have Thor trained, if he doesn't return when called, I go get him and it's the end of park time.

Some people say that the "come" command is so important that you should only use it if you have something positive for your dog. If you are planning to give him a bath or take him to the vet, go get him, so he sees coming to you as 100% positive.

NEVER scold your dog after he comes to you, no matter how late, since that simply trains him not to come.

Also, if you are outside and you don't want to chase after him: get down on all fours and make some high pitched sounds. Your pup will likely come investigate. Or start walking away from him to turn the chase game around.

VERY good info here!!

I'd like to add:
1. Practice, practice, practice

2. Just use one comand word - "come"

Do not confuse your baby with comon' or come here, or any other words. I use "Bailey, come!" - and magically she comes every time. If I'm playing, I'll say comon' Bailey, she may or may not come - but that's okay, there's no expectation with anything other than "come".

Good luck!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!