View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies! I am overwhelmed by your kind responses and wish I could linger longer to read right now...LOL

Unfortunately, I have housework that is screaming my name.

Nancy, thank you for the link. I will definitely look into that route also. It does seem like a good match for us since there are no children and we are home 24/7...well, at least one of us is. Plus, in case of an emergency, we've already gotten a pet sitter lined up where there are no children but another retired, stay-at-home teacher friend. (I'm guessing she'll get a Yorkie after she plays with ours!)

I am definite on the girl Yorkie though since everything I've bought is pink...LOL. Also, our name choices are primarily female.

The weight of 7 pounds or under as an adult would work as long as her bone structure could handle it.

The actual bone structure is what determines the healthy weight. Just because a breeder says that a certain dog will be in the four pound range, it doesn't mean that you can't overfed it and cause it to become too heavy. For the first 8 months many breeders recommend free feeding, because a puppy will not over eat and get too fat. They have growth spurts, so the amount of food needed on any given day varies. Your vet at that point could give you a good idea of the best weight for your dog. Snacks or treats should be carefully chosen, and it's really not in the best interest of the dog to become overweight, and the best way to show our love for them, its to play fetch, or go for a walk, instead of giving food. This is really hard for many of us because we have been trained to associate food with love.

Join today and remove this ad!