View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I always recommend the YTCA for referrals. Many people believe that because they aren't going to show or breed, that they don't need to look at show breeders' dogs. Breeders show their dogs so that others beside themselves will confirm that their dog is suitable for breeding. Most show breeders sell their offspring to pet only homes, not to other breeders. Show breeders are more likely to do the required health testing, because they are developing a "line" and that means that it in their best interest to only breed healthy dogs. In addition, most show breeders really breed for the love of the breed, it's not a money making proposition, and they truly believe that they can improve the breed, so some of the best values can also be obtained from show breeders because they are adopting their dogs, not selling them. The major problem with buying from a show breeder is that they are really fussy about which homes their puppies go. You know how some people say rescues are fussy? This is so true with good breeders as well, and they turn away many people. For example, Joey's breeder would not consider placing a dog to homes with young children, I know many people object to this, but that was her choice. She also didn't want to sell her dogs to people who were away all day, again, her choice. If you think you can meet some of the restrictions that many really good breeders place on their dogs, and it sounds like you can, I urge you to contact several breeders from the YTCA referral list. Another plus, is that during your interviewing, you will learn so much about Yorkies.

I think another advantage you have is that you are willing to be patient and wait for the right dog. You will be able to see the parents of the future pup, and this is a great indicator on the looks and size of the offspring. One more advantage is that show breeders breed to standard, and standard calls for dogs 7 pounds and under, so 7 pounds is the maximum weight not the minimum weight, and show breeders often breed healthy dogs in the 4 pound range. Good luck with your search, I found YorkieTalk before I found my Joey, and the information I got here really helped me choose a great breeder. Here's a link to the YTCA, which is the mother club of the AKC for yorkies. Yorkshire Terrier Club of America About The Club

Last edited by Nancy1999; 01-14-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!