View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
ChantalB
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattiesmom View Post
I was reading a very interesting book on dog behavior and according to the author's research, dog's biological clock is extremely accurate. They get tuned to when things are supposed to happen - when you are supposed to get home from work, when they eat, when they go for walks, and can "tell" the time these things are supposed to happen with in a few minutes during a 24 hour time period.

I think there is a lot of truth in that and that many of our behaviorial problems stems from the dogs anxiety over things not happening when they are supposed to. One example he gave was that if you are supposed to get home from work at 6 pm - a few minutes before six the dog will start getting anxious. If you don't get home on time he will find something that smells strongly of you - perhaps your slippers, underwear, etc. and mouth them because they miss you, the later you are the more anxious he gets and will progress from mouthing to chewing.

I haven't tested the theory, but it really sounds logical. I know that watching our small herd of horses, I can tell what part of the pasture they are in according to what time of day it is.
Great post chattiesmom!

The dog's biological clock is extremely accurate. When They get use to their schedule, they know when it is time to eat, walk time, expecting you from work etc. They have an amazing instinct.

For what it is to tell how long ,missiemiss is right on, anything over 45 minutes is the same time... They don't know how long it as been since you left.

I have study dog breeding, behaviors and psychologies and that is what I have learn.

BTW : I study at cyno.net costly but great school if you understand French.
ChantalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!