View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I would start by picking some breeders you are interested in and talking to them about their waiting lists because all breeders are different. Some have waiting lists and others will have twelve-week-olds that are ready to go now.

About the size, why are you set on one five pounds or under?
A pup with a low projected adultweight can be just as healthy as a larger Yorkie, however, if it stays too small the dangers of anesthesia are greater and it may require much more supervision. I can trust my six pounder to jump on and off the couch without hurting herself whereas if she was three or four pounds, things might be different. Also, the smaller the dog, the less likely that they will be able to climb stairs. My personal preference is probably in the five to seven pound range although all size Yorkies are perfect.
Ellie May, if my husband and I have any weakness when it comes to having a Yorkie, I'm afraid it will be to overfeed. We both grew up on farms and our childhood pets lived outside and ran off the food they ate. I know that the bone structure of a Yorkie is sometimes delicate and I do not want to jeopardize joints, etc. If ours was to be 6 or 7 pounds but not fat and stressing bones, it would be fine. I just speculate that we will be push-overs for treats, etc. and I don't want her to struggle with weight problems and the ensuing aches and pains. Having been overweight all my life, I am sensitive to the problem even in pets. I am too aware of how much being overweight zaps my energy, etc. (I suppose in my mind I was thinking I'd have some leeway if she was not projected to be as heavy. Theoretically though, I know the stats in the growth charts are mere projections and not certainties.)
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!