View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Smile No questions are dumb, right?

I'm sorry this is so long but it just had to be to say what I needed to say!

Some of you may have read my intro to the board a week or so ago. I joined you as soon as I found you because reading and learning is in my blood and noone is better equipped to teach you than someone who has had the experiences you seek.

That said...LOL...I hope you can overlook what may seem strange...my being on such a board without a Yorkie. Every day I read your posts and yearn for my own Yorkie. I am trying to make myself hold true to my original contract with myself and my husband but I think I've probably never wanted anything in my life as much as I want a Yorkie puppy right now.

My question some may classify as dumb is this... at what time should I start a serious inquiry into acquiring a female puppy if I want her near the end of October 2009? I don't know the protocol of whether you ask to get on a waiting list prior to the twinkle in the sire's eyes.

Both my husband and I are retired and home 24/7 with no children nor grandchildren to spoil. I was a teacher; he was an environmentalist with the state of TN. We both are in our 50's with some health problems but nothing that would prevent our love and care for a Yorkie.

We seldom travel but we are going to New England this fall for the leaf season which is one reason for the late October date. However, the primary reason is that I have made my Yorkie a reward for losing 100 pounds. Weight loss has always been difficult for me but this time I have a goal besides the weight! I have promised myself I can't have the puppy until I lose the weight and believe me, I want the puppy so badly!

We want a small female...not teacup as I understand they actually do not exist but have severe health problem potential. One projected under 5 pounds adult would be ideal. We also want one AKC registered. We have absolutely no interest in breeding and will have our pet neutered.

We already know our vet-to-be (attend church with him) and have begun purchasing everything we think we will need plus alot of toys. We've also picked a name but it has changed about 5 times already...LOL The cute little dog collar id tag with her name and our phone number is already just a trinket now.

We abhor puppy mills and pet stores that breed without compassion. We want our baby to have a great start in life and be treasured from birth because she will become a definite treasure to us.

I am learning so much from this board and the several books I have purchased. However, since our situation is rather unique, I can't find a suggestion as to when you actually start meeting the birth families, etc. I guess my anticipation gets the best of me when I see the photos, videos, and read of your puppies' antics.

I apologize for this being so long and thank you for reading this far. Thank you for any suggestions. (By the way, we live in TN but can travel within the southeast or the closer northern states to bring our little girl home. Plus, it might help to share that my favorite students were always the ones who had a bit of mischief up their sleeves. They were always so much more interesting...LOL!)
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!