View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Angry "That's not a real dog!"

Okay, this is minor, but it does irk me a bit. Thor is only three pounds. Both he and I are aware that this puts him on the small end of the dog spectrum. He is, however, a dog. He enjoys barking, peeing, parks, and snacks. He does not live in a plastic cage with an exercise wheel.

Most people think he's a puppy, so he always gets comments on how cute he is. However, every so often, someone, generally a man, feels the need to inform me that Thor is not "real", and suggest that perhaps he is a hamster, gerbil, or a doggy hors d'oeuvre.

Today in the park, Thor and I approached an improptu play group with dogs of various sizes. A man well within earshot and clearly talking about Thor disapprovingly said, "what the heck do you do with a dog THAT size?" I turned around and said Thor was the perfect size, and the man just ignored me.

Then another woman came up to me and told me that I should be careful about hawks and went on and on about how my dog could easily be carried off. On one level, I appreciate the heads up, but on the other hand, no one else said anything to welcome us.

I know there are rude people everywhere... it just bums me out, because Thor IS a dog! I enjoy a lot of things about his size. Poop pickup is a breeze, I can take him with me anywhere, and he can't get on the furniture without my help. He is a healthy, adorable pet. I feel we get some flack because of the whole controversy surrounding "Teacups". But Thor doesn't need people taking their issues out on him. Come on, he's just a dog!

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-13-2009 at 06:02 PM.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!