View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlauren View Post
Ok, I could really use some help clarifying things, if you all wouldn't mind.

1. I've heard you're supposed to neuter at 6 months hopefully to avoid marking. And you hopefully get the baby teeth pulled when you neuter.
2. And dogs start teething between 4-6 months (does teething mean loosing baby teeth I guess?)
3. But adult teeth don't come in until 6 months or later, so far as I understand.

How does this work? Do dogs go without many of their teeth for awhile? Do I have some of my information wrong?

Lauren & Nikko
I think #3 isn't correct. When dogs teeth, the permanent tooth is supposed to loosen the baby tooth as it comes in, so the baby tooth is supposed to fall out as the permanent comes in under it. However, sometimes with smaller dogs especially, the permanent tooth will grow in behind it instead of under it (I think because the baby tooth wasn't budging??) AND, I want to say, that once a dog starts teething, they will have all their permanents in in 3-4 weeks. I think Bella started teething at 4 or 5 mo. old and when she was spayed at 6 mo. old, they extracted 9 baby teeth and said that all of her permanents were already in. So, it may depend on the dog, but in our case, all of her permanents were in at 6 mo. and 2 wks. of age.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!