View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
nycyorkiemom
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnzeppi View Post
I think I have accounted for the missing masking tape that was not on Gatsby's paws or beard - ref my previous post in this thread. It seems to have not effected him in the least, and I would classify it as insoluble fiber.

ALso, I do appreciate the advise on the methods to get your yorkie to drop a bad thing in its mouth on command. I think I have erroneously trained my guys the opposite by getting foreign objects out of their mouths on walks, they seem to have learned to swallow fast or the nasty pack leaders will take this new cool toy/treat away. That would be a very difficult behavior to teach, but it would be nice if you could do it.
Well, until they are taught the drop it/leave it, it's good to pull things out of their mouths for their safety. I've been doing this a lot because he will create things to chew on...he started pulling up wood from the floor boards !!!! But I also read to be careful to not reach down into their throats because they have small bones you could accidentally hurt (I read this when I looked up how to help a choking dog). They say only grab what you can see. Problem is his mouth is so tiny that I can't really look in and pull something out at the same time...so I just make sure to stay away from the throat area. But anyway, my point was supposed to be that it's okay that you've been doing that, because it is for their safety...until they learn the command I'd keep doing it when neccessary.
nycyorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!