Thread: Alkaline pH
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdiva View Post
I'd say his homemade patties are about a quarter of the food he eats a day. I was wondering that about the veggies. Do you think it could be just the broccoli or the other veggies as well? And where do you get your pH strips to check it yourself? I have not been able to find them anywhere. I would like to try changing his patties a bit and see what that does without having to go pay $90 at the vet every time I want to check his pH. How long did it take for you to change the pH of your dog?
Here is a list of foods that acidy/alkalize (you can do a search for other lists too):
http://mysite.verizon.net/jfrogge/ar...se%20chart.pdf

From that, it looks like the broccoli and the squash are in the alkalizing category (I can't remember what else is in the patty?) I think I'd try making a week's worth of patties without the veggies and then testing the pH again after the week to see if that was what was causing the pH change. (Note: my nutritionist suggested skipping the veggies to see if that was it, but he said he honestly didn't see a problem with her pH being alkaline if that was why because struvite crystals are much less common than urate (?) ones....although if yours has already had struvites, it may just be better to skip them altogether??)

I, like you, can't afford to have Bella's urine pH tested all the time and also, like you, couldn't find any pH strips. I called every pharmacy in town, then went to Hobby Lobby and bought the tiny strip they had for like $4 (which didn't even work, by the way!), so I just found them online and ordered those....here:
pH Test Strips - pHion pH Stix - Litmus Paper Strips

(I liked these because they have a wider range.) I just got them in so I haven't used them on her yet, but I tested them out on me. They seem just fine. I really need to try to catch some urine soon and test her too.

I hope that helps you
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!