Thread: Congested???
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Default Congested???

I'm going to post this here too just in case I put it in the wrong place.....

I'm starting to get worried about Bella She started out by making a single snorting sound around the 26th or so of Dec. and this morning it was lots and lots or snorting all in a row! I have read about reverse sneezing and even watched a video a YT'er made awhile back of it, but this just doesn't seem like that. For one thing, she started out with only one snort and that was it. It has gotten worse (as far as how long it lasts and how many times a day) since then, but it still isn't as if she is snorting around all day or anything. Yesterday, she probably only did it 3 or 4 times, the bulk of which was last night just before bed. She was in the bathroom with me and started doing it and I got her to stop. Then, she went into the kitchen where my boyfriend was making her dinner and started it up again. Usually if you hold her and speak calmly to her she stops. I say usually.....it's only been more than one or 2 snorts in a row yesterday and today. When I wake up Bella is excited to give me morning kisses and wiggles and wiggles, and this morning she started snorting even worse when she did it than she was snorting last night.

Let me describe it a little better. It sounds like if you were to have drainage and would snort to get rid of it. Also, even when she's not snorting, but she's excited I can sometimes here a rattley sound in her nose like she has snot maybe?? And when she sneezes (probably 3-4 times per day since the 26th of Dec) it's a wet sneeze. I gave her Benadryl Sat. and Sun. to see if she was having some allergy problems, but it hasn't helped at all. I just don't know......

I made an appt. for Wed to see the vet and see what she thinks, but I wondered if anyone else has an idea. Her little nose is still cold and wet, so I don't think she has a fever, and she acts like she feels good. Also, it usually happens when she's excited, BUT it doesn't happen EVERYtime she gets excited.....maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the times she's excited....she's an excited little girl!! (Leaving the room and coming back is grounds for excited wiggly kisses! ) My dad's dog has reverse sneezing whenever he's excited, but it just doesn't seem like the same thing. And, I thought that if it were reverse sneezing it would happen every time she got all worked up or was running around a lot??? Plus, it just sounds like she's congested to me...

Another thing to note is that she never did this before Xmas (except when she was tiny and would dunk her nose in the water bowl by accident). I stayed for 1 wk at my aunt's in the country for Xmas, and my aunt has a 4 mo. old Yorkie puppy that would snort the entire time she was running around playing with Bella. The puppy's snort didn't really sound like reverse sneezing to me either....it had more of wheeze to it than I remember with reverse sneezing...but my aunt took her to a vet who said that was what it was. Bella didn't start until after we got home after being around the puppy for a week, and I'm just worried she may have caught something....a cold? Or if maybe this is a congestion issue? Or has anything to do with the air being drier? I have a cool mist humidifier, though...... Anyone have any idea???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!