View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Morkie123
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Update: I adopted a morkie!

Hi everyone,

(Update follows further below)

By way of background, I signed up for YorkieTalk and posted for the first time back in early December. I directed my post to people who were proud parents of morkies (maltese/yorkie cross), and asked advice as to where they obtained theirs and on finding a morkie "breeder" generally.

I asked that responses not be directed at debating the value of purebred dogs versus "mixed breeds". I had read through the forums on YorkieTalk prior to posting, and I read a very lengthy debate on this issue, so I felt I understood the issues & already had a sense of people's views.

Nevertheless, some posters responded expressing their concerns of mixing breeds and non AKC or CKC accredited breeders.

I just wanted to let you know that I read *everyone's* responses to my post, but I didn't post again because I didn't want to enter the debate.

* UPDATE *
As an update to the many of you who expressed your encouragement, I wanted to let you know that I ADOPTED A MORKIE!

Her name is Tulip and she is now 4 months old. I am *so* happy that I got her. Tulip is so sweet. I am at work, and Tulip is lying on my lap right now sleeping.

My rescued beagle, Daisy, was originally quite put out about the newcomer, but Daisy has since fallen madly in love with Tulip and the two of them play. It is really funny to watch them play together - Daisy is 20 pounds, Tulip is only 3.5, but Daisy is gentle. When they play, it looks like the 2 of them are howling - they throw their heads back with their mouths wide open. And Tulip will actually throw herself onto Daisy's back!

Tulip is almost cat-like. She likes high places (the back of the couch) and walks and eats very gracefully. She has been so easy to train - she uses her puppy mat religiously. She sleeps on the bed with me, and when she has to pee at night, she wakes me up so I can put her on her puppy mat!! She already walks nicely on a harness and leash - she just follows Daisy!

During the day, Daisy goes with the dog walker on a 3 hour hike in the mountans, so Tulip comes to work with me.

As for the "breeder" - she is a lovely, church going woman who spent a lot of time talking to me on the phone prior to getting Tulip. I made a 2 hour drive to her house, to meet the pups and the momma. I still telephone and e-mail the lady so she can hear how wonderful Tulip is!

So thank you to all those who were supportive. I have my little morkie Tulip and she is absolutely perfect!
Morkie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!