View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Lightbulb Thor might be a smartie after all!

I just wanted to share my progress with Thor. As I've mentioned before, he used to belong to a coworker of mine, so I have been walking him and teaching him tricks for maybe six months now, but he's only lived with me for one.

I'd gotten the impression that Thor was possibly not the sharpest tool in the shed. He does not appear to know that different words mean different things, for instance. When I say "sit" or "down" or "touch" with an accompanying hand gesture, he just rotates through all three until he gets a treat.

I also got him a small treat ball to keep him occupied, and he couldn't figure out how to use it. He could smell the treats in there and he would get really excited when I picked it up, but he wouldn't actually roll the ball. I tried placing the ball hole down with treats ready to fall out if he nudges it with his nose, and also trained him to "touch" the ball. Hours of practice time later, he still has no idea that he could actually roll the ball on his own and serve himself up some treats.

Anyway, I have actually been having some really good experiences with him too, and I'm so excited! First, he's got a very firm grasp on the concept of "fetch" now. For the longest time, he would run after the toy, and then expect you to run after him, with the toy. Then a few months ago he started dropping the toy in my general vicinity every so often. This weekend, he started dropping the ball into my hand. It's so cool!

Also, I've tried all different kinds of chew toys with him, because he has no self-occupying activities (see: treat ball, above). I tried bully sticks and flosses and tow ropes, to no avail. Today, I got the bright idea to soak a flossie in some water for a few hours to soften it up. I think it was my bright idea, I might have stolen it from someone else here. Anyway, Thor is on the bed right now, giving that flossie the what-for. My dog chews things! I'm so excited.

I'm kind of patting myself on the back here, thinking that Thor did not get any training with his former owner, so he has no doggie empowerment. He doesn't understand he can manipulate objects, or communicate his state of mind to his human. I'm totally excited about getting him a bell to ring for potty. Right now he gives off no potty-need signs that I can see. He definitely needs to go in the morning, but beyond that, we're flying blind. I think it will be great for both of us if Thor learns that he can use objects to control my behavior - he rings the bell, I take him outside. And I don't have to live in fear of teensy yellow puddles. We all win.

Oh, and finally: he's really great at heeling. I worked on that with him in a couple sessions, and now he's right in line with my right leg, trotting away. I'm left-handed, so I figure a heel on the right probably works better.

I'm sure I'll be posting in a few week about how Thor pooped on the bell, but for now, I think Thor's got a big smokin' brain!
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!