View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
Hamoth
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Loki is finally over this. He does not have a medical issue like hypoglycemia, he is just stubborn. Here's what we did.

First of all, you can't feed them table food. You can't give in and cook them chicken - or guess what - they will hold out every time for chicken! They are SMART! Second, they may not be hungry or might be full from treats. Everyone told me to try to feed Loki 2 or 3 times a day. He will only eat once a day, while we are eating or while I am in the kitchen.
I stopped giving Loki treats (we do lots of training) for 2 days and guess what, the second day I put his food down and he ate it all right away. Also, if they don't eat for a day it won't hurt them. (My vet told me this.) So do not feel guilty about it. A dog will not starve if there is food available! Only put their bowl down for 15-30 mins, then pick it up. This will teach them to eat when you feed them.

Sometimes for a treat I put organic chicken stock on Loki's food. Only if I'm cooking with it or something, since it's $2-3 for the big box that only lasts 5 days in the frige. He loves that and scarfs his food. And it's 1000 times healthier than that Iams gravy stuff! I've also thrown plain rice on Loki's food if we are eating that for dinner. He likes that too, and he's still eating HIS food out of HIS bowl. I'd still say 6 days a week he is just eating his regular dog food, that for 6 months I thought he didn't like.

Good luck!
In adult dogs, perhaps...But check this out:

Quote:
Transient Juvenile Hypoglycemia, which is brought on by fasting, is common in Toy dog breeds, such as Yorkshire Terrier, Toy Poodle, Pomeranian and other Toy dog breeds, and usually seen in puppies 5 to 16 weeks of age. Stress, low body temperature, poor nutrition, sudden change in feed, water and schedule patterns, infections, and premature birth may precipitate the onset of hypoglycemia. Some puppies, bred exclusively for tiny size ("teacup Yorkies", "teacup Chihuahua"), are even more predisposed to Transient Juvenile Hypoglycemia since insufficient muscle mass may make it difficult for the body to store the glucose and keep its blood sugar properly regulated.

Most common clinical signs of hypoglycemia are drowsiness, shivering, collapsing, disorientation, seizures, listlessness, depression, muscle weakness and tremors. Lee Weston, author of the article about Hypoglycemia (Pomeranian Club of Canada) says that "the entire sequence of clinical signs is not always seen, so close observation of your pet and knowing when your dog is going into a distressed state can mean the difference between life and death of your dog. Immediate treatment by a veterinarian is imperative, as recurrence of, or prolonged attacks, can cause permanent damage to the brain."

It has been proven experimentally that eight hours fasting in a Yorkshire terrier puppy can result in marked variation of blood glucose, showing both hypo- en hyperglycaemia.

Frequent feeding of a high-energy, protein-rich diet to both mother and puppies may prevent toy-breed puppies from developing hypoglycemia and may help them to overcome periods with a decreased intake of energy.
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-hea...oglycemia.aspx
Hamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!