View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
yorkiesmiles
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwitko View Post
I'm new to the Yorkie community here. My Yorkie is 3 years old and his name is Tiki. So far he is a good dog but he destroys every toy that I buy him. The only thing that last is the rubber rings or the one called Kong. I would love for him to have a stuffed toy but I can't because he rips them apart within minutes of getting them. Is this a common behavior? When I occasionally leave him overnight at Pet Smart Hotel he just goes crazy when I pick him up. They tried him in their doggy play hour and he apparently did not do well so when I leave him he has to get the individual play time and not with the group.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
Hi, welcome to YT! You probably should start your own thread in the General Discussion forum - so you get your questions answered and get lots of welcomes If you need help in starting a thread, let me know.

I do not think you are necessarily doing anything wrong. Do you ever socialize Tiki with other dogs? I'm thinking if he isn't used to being around other dogs that this is overwhelming for him to go to the Pet Hotel. But it may just be his reaction to being left by you & separated from you - sometimes that is more than they can handle.

As far as the chewing a lot of people have this issue with their yorkies - my Roxy used to destroy every plush toy - not immediately but she would destroy the squeeker as fast as she could. I started making a big deal about the toy being hurt & she stopped destroying them -- she actually seems to enjoy her toys more now.

Also, there is a plush toy that is supposed to be much hard for them to destroy - I'll have to see if I can find the name of it. It's not fuzzy - it's made out of more canvas material
yorkiesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!