Thread: Alkaline pH
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Rockdiva
YT Addict

Default Alkaline pH

I am looking for anyone who has some experience with this, as I am not finding much info online. Shortly after Wookies exploratory surgery about 3 months ago, I noticed he was peeing a lot and drinking a lot. Took him to do a urinalysis and he had a few struvite crystals in his urine, but no bacteria and his urine was very concentrated (which they said was a good sign that his kidneys were doing what they were suposed to). Plus, he had tons of blood work and tests done when he was going through his surgery, so I knew his organs and such were working fine. His pH was a little alkaline though. So he was put on antibiotics for 10 days and then we went back. Everything was clear, no crystals, still no bacteria and urine normal (not concentrated). But he still had a alkaline ph in his urine. Wondering if it could possibly be our well water, we put him on distilled water for a month, then took him back this week to test again. Everything still clear and looking good but the ph still an 8! The vet said that may be something that is just 'Wookies normal' for him. She said should just probably do an urinalysis about every 6 months to keep an eye on it and to also keep an eye on him at home for any indications of a problem forming. She said she doesn't like doing things to acidify the urine because a lot of times you will over acidify by doing that and acidic urine causes worse problems than alkaline (evidently the stones caused by that have to be surgically removed). So I am kinda at a loss. The only info that I find online is the basic stuff about the crystals forming and such. Wondering if it could be diet related or what. He eats a combination of kibble and homemade diet. The kibble is Innova Evo (about 1/2 cup a day) and I make small patties (about the size of a silver dollar) that he gets poached each night mixed with whatever (if any) kibble he didn't eat in the morning. The patty mixture is made of 1/3 lb 98% lean ground beef, 1 chicken breast ground up, broccoli, carrots, squash, egg, rosemary, parsley, apple, olive oil, and then an equal to all that amount of cooked long grain brown rice. I mix it all then make into the little patties, freeze and poach one each night. I also try to get organic whenever I can. I have been really pleased with this diet (and he seems to be too) so I really don't want to change it unless it is what is hurting him.

Any one have any thoughts or experience with this??? Thanks!!!!!
Rockdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!