View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
iluvmister
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Star Keeping your dog alive: Tried herbs?

Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum.

I have a 16 year Yorkie mix (found him as a young puppy), and I've pulled my Mister back from the brink of death several times, much to the vet's surprise. They had written him off a few times. Once with his teeth infected, he had compromised kidney... almost renal failure. I gave him a pinch or two of astragalus in a dropper over a two week period and his creatinine levels went from 75 to 25. I have followed various veterinarian herbologists advice on how to administer that herb (an old chinese herb widely used there), as well as other herbs.

Today , I continue giving him a mixture of astragalus, pinch of siberian ginseng, vitamin ester c and a B-complex twice a day (in a dropper). This is because b vitamins is good for kidneys, and he's recently caught the cold and will help avoid pneumonia.

I want to let everyone here know that there are some things you can do for your yorkie alive and healthy. It's good start to early, but honestly, my dog was in bad shape three years ago with his teeth infection (teeth and kidneys are very connected!). I had all of his teeth removed for about $1,000 (he wouldn't let anyone brush them!).

Now, i mix his soft food at about one third protein, one third veg's, and one third good carbs (rice). Be careful of phosphorous content as you would any kidney diet -- and make sure that ash is low or nonexistent! My dog, raised with cats, spent a lot of time sneaking cat food! Don't let your yorkie eat it.

Astragalus, a root also known for as an immune booster, congestive heart remedy and antitumor/cancer capacity, is good for humans too! It's been widely researched, and the chinese put it in their chicken soup for millennium.

Well those are tips i've learned along the way with my yorkie (i think he's part terrier?) Anyways, for those of you who have a sick dog, know that with a little research and love, you can keep your doggy alive.

take good care......dee
iluvmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!