View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
wemple2
Wee Winston Wiggles
Donating Member

I think if you teach her to "sit" and "wait" first, the "come" is much easier. Once she masters the "sit", make her "wait"...actually walk away from her while she "sits" and "waits"...a little further each time. You should be able to walk out of her sight and she should stay. Then give the "come" command with enthusiasm and treats. After she is able to do this...before you pick her up, teach her to "come close". It's the cutest thing, if I'm sitting and Winston wants in my lap, I tell him to "sit" first...he sits, then I say "come close"....and he stands up, takes a few steps towards me and sits back down and waits to be picked up. Sometimes, he's still not quite close enough for me to reach down and get him, so I repeat "come close" and he takes a couple more steps towards me. Hilarious!!!
But I do believe they need to "sit" and "wait" before they understand the "come"
Repetition is the key...do it every time...over and over again she'll get it right.
Good luck, hope this helps. It just may save her life if she were to ever get loose some where, some how. All you would have to do is tell her to "sit, wait and come close".
Never, ever chase her...she will only run away...thinking it's a game. This could be tragic.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!