View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...oglycemia.html

Above is a link to a recipe someone used on a teeny one that wouldn't eat and would get hypoglycemic. It may be worth a try. I do think the suggestion of putting the dry food in the blender and pulverizing it, then mixing it with warm water to make a past is a great idea. You could even let dry kibble sit in water for 20 min or so so they absorb water and are soft....you'd be amazed at how much water kibble can absorb! (Note: if you soak kibble in water, you must treat it as a canned food essentially, in that you cannot leave it out all day or it will spoil! I would leave soaked kibble out for a max of 1 hr...someone jump in if you could leave it longer, but that's as long as I'd want my food out before I would be wary of bacteria/spoliage. Also, if you're going to soak kibble overnight to have it ready for first thing in the morning, you should soak it in a container with a lid in the refrigerator, not on the counter, for the same reasons.) Otherwise, a high quality canned food would be good--here's a link to quality foods: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...e-samples.html Some of these foods can be found at Petco. Make sure the food has a good percentage of protein (>24%) and good percentage of fat (>14%)--growing puppies NEED these!

Also, it's important to know what is an appropriate amount of food for you pup. Since it weighs only 8 oz., I can't imagine that it will eat much right now....it's tummy will get full very quickly! When mine weighed 2#, we were lucky if she'd eat 1/4 cup over a whole day. I've heard that a full-grown Yorkie's stomach is half the size of a Mandarin orange, so you can see it doesn't take a lot for it to be full. That is one reason puppies need to be fed 4 times a day until they are 3 or 4 mo. old when it can be reduced to 3 times a day, and then finally reduced to 2 times per day at around 6 mo. Puppies can't eat as much at one sitting but require more calories than an adult dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!