Thread: Jack's attacks
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Welcome to YorkieTalk.

Yorkies are very prone to pancreatitis.
Fast food is way too high in fat for them and it can trigger this.
Fried hamburger could put his life in danger, so I wouldn't give it anymore.

Yorkies are also very prone to liver issues (liver shunt and microvascular dysplasia). Microvascular dysplasia (MVD) is small shunting throughout the liver. When the liver can't process things properly, toxins can build up and cause neurologic symptoms (hepatic encephalopathy). That would include seizures. Red meat (hamburger) produces the most ammonia or toxins and it would not be surprising for a dog with this disease to be effected like this from red meat. If this happens an hour or two after he eats, it is not very likely hypoglycemia. I would get his bile acids tested (two blood tests around a meal) to check liver function and rule LS and MVD out. If it continues to happen and this isn't the issue and your vet doesn't seem too interested, I'd probably go to an internist.

Other symptoms would be shaking for no reason, walking around in circles, walking into walls, head pressing, lethargy, depression, inappetence, urinary issues (uti's, stones), drooling, gastrointestinal issues, etc.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!