Thread: Jack's attacks
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Georgia in MS
Yorkie Talker

Default Jack's attacks

I have an 8 pound, 7-year-old Yorkie. He has "attacks" of not being able to move, shaking, like his muscles will not work (though kind of locked up). He is totally cognizant throughout these attacks. As he starts to come out of the attack, he will get up, take a couple of steps, fall over. He pants like crazy, his tongue turns a bluish color. These attacks last about 10 minutes and afterwards, he is fine, back to his normal self.

He had one attack 2 years ago - it was hot and we had been outside cutting grass. So I thought he was hot or had low blood sugar. Vet thought the same thing.

He had another attack about a year ago, I thought it must be low blood sugar (he can't cut grass anymore, which he loves to do). I put him in the car to carry him to the vet 6 miles away, but before we got there, it went away. So I went back home (it was closing time for the vet's office anyway).

Every time I take him in for a checkup, I mention it to the vet, and the say it is just probably low blood sugar, maybe a seizure (the totally cognizant part makes me doubt this).

Then a month ago, he had another attack. We had been Xmas shopping, came back, gave him a quarter of a child's McD's hamburger. About 30 minutes later, he had an attack.

About a week ago, he had another attack. Nothing going on - other than he had another piece of fastfood hamburger. I called the vet and the vet was in surgery, all the techs were in surgery. The receptionist said I could come in their next available in 3 hours. I wanted them to "see" the attack.

The only thing I do to treat these - on the advice of the vet - is give him a couple of tastes of Karo light syrup, which he will lick just fine, in the middle of the attack.

I feed him table food and Purina Pro Plan for small breeds dry food.

The increase in frequency is scaring me. I love this dog dearly and if I need to do something, I want to do it. Any ideas? What should I do?
Georgia in MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!