View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
Chelsie1978

My vet has never tried to push me into buying doggie shampoo either,infact,he gives me free samples of great shampoos.But he does tell me what human shampoo (even baby shampoo) CAN do to a yorkies hair and he doesnt explain this to me to make me buy shampoo,he tells me this because he knows how fussy I am about my babies hair.Yorkies do have similar hair to us,but here the problem isnt the hair,its the SKIN.Their skin doesnt have the same PH as our does,so human shampoos are not suitable for them.Human shampoo can dry out their skin which will eventually lead to dry,lifeless hair.Conditioner doesnt fix this as it works on the hair,not on the skin so it will only cover up the problem for a while.
I used to use J& J on Ladys face when she was little because I thought it was good,but when my vet told me that the the gunk that kept coming out of her eyes was due to the baby shampoo (the unbalanced PH was causing irritation),I stopped using it.The problem clearned up within a week and now she seems to have cleaner eyes (no boogers).
As I said before..when you are dealing with a dog whos main feature is its hair,then looking after it properly will always pay off on the long run.
Chelsie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!