View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
shawnzeppi
YT Addict

Default How smart is your Yorkie without any training?

I'm sure we're all familiar with the behavior of asking your Yorkie if (s)he wants to go for a walk and having them go bonkers on you in anticipation, but my male 9 month old has taken this a step further...

I got to pondering this issue because my male has trained himself to paw me in order to tell me that he has peed or pooped on the pee pad.

At first, I thought he wanted to be picked up, his older sister is a lap dog of great renoun, and is always begging me via pawing to be picked up to sit on my shoulder, but Mr Gatsby has never been a lap dog in the least, so I was baffled by this at first. It's kind of like his equivalent of trying to tell Lassie's mom that Timmy has fallen down the well; it's up to us stupid humans to figure out what they are trying to tell us.

I never attempted to train him for this, it was just due to simple conditioning I suppose since when I put him in the bathroom with the door closed for a couple minutes and he does defecate, I reward him, so now he goes by himself and has learned to come get me and put me on notice that I owe him a treat. SMART BOY!!!
shawnzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!