View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspakoulee View Post
I'm sooo sad! i can't seem to train my yorkie. He's 10 months and today he done it again, he peed in his room! i just don't know what to day anymore. for about 3 weeks now he hasn't had an accident and now he's starting again. when can i trust him again. i hate to have him in his crate all the time. but it must be done because i don't know when he'll go. how will i know when will he be fully train? any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure what you have been doing to train him but something is wrong and its technique and consistancy in training. Three weeks of no accidents is telling me that it isn't him that caused him to potty inside his crate but that he was left too long without being taken outside. How much time is he spending inside his crate?
He is only 10 month old and yorkies are notorious for training issues. Get a good cleaner for urine stains to get rid of the smell this will help a lot with him going back to the same spot.

If you want him to be in a large area get an xpen and that way you can keep him contained and also put down a pee pad. He has a tiny little bladder and needs to go out often. When you take him out don't let him play or sniff around too long. It should be potty time not look at the birds, chase the squirrels, sniff the ground time. Keep him out for only a few minutes. He is 10 months old and is still a baby. As soon as he pottys praise, treat and back into the house. If he doesn't potty he need to be put into his xpen or crate. Wait 45 minutes and back outside he goes until he goes. If he potties this time he can stay out and have free time but NOT out of your sit. Maybe 20 minutes of play and fun, then back into the crate. When he becomes more consistent that is when you can leave him out longer and longer.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!