View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicgenie View Post
Sorry for the intrusion but I got very confused in the original thread about Maxine. I am, however, very interested in the subject of proper placement of retiring breeding dogs. My own integrity was questioned recently when someone commented negatively about how I use a placement service when I need to rehome my retiring girls. I was hurt by this thinking and I think it was Sugar's Mom who best expressed how it can be more difficult to part with an adult dog than a puppy. I need to objectivity of a third party, as well as the tremendous effort they put into checking out the adoptive home and family. Is someone interested in starting a thread about this? Thanks.
I think that is why this was started in the first place. The entire thing was extremely confusing. There was not just that thread but numerous threads and most of them were closed because of the craziness that was occurring. What Maxine and YS tried to do was just not right. When a rescue places a dog a lot of care and effort goes into it just as when a breeder places one of her own. Just like you want to assure the very best care be given to an adult or pup. It should be a decision that should last a lifetime. Breeding and retiring has a lot to do with ethics. I don't personally have experience with a placement service for breeders but it does sound interesting. If you care about where your dogs go and want to make sure there are reference checks, vet checks and accountability for their care why not? That is exactly what I was saying about working together as 2 reputable groups and networking together. There are a lot of people out there that are looking specifically for older dogs. Many people do not want to have to train a puppy but they would willing to take in an adult. If a dialogue was started between members right here on YT and someone wanted to adopt an adult what would it hurt to pass a number. Kind of like a blind date, you meet, talk and if everything works out.

Or course we get worked up and are very passionate about people like Maxine because we know she is doing wrong. Dogs should not be dying and neglected or disguarded as she is doing with hers. She was representing herself as something she was not. That really is the bottom line. Then it was implied that they were given to NCYR and that was not the case either we have now come to find out.

I was hoping that a few more breeders would jump in and possibly agree or at least correct me if I have a misconception in my thought process here.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!