View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Julie822
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Bad Experience with Revolution (Selamectin)

This happened to me at the end of October, but I figured I would share this story now in the hopes that I will spare one of you the scare that I went through with my little guy!

At the end of October, I took Diesel to the vet for the first time. They gave him all of the routine tests/vaccinations and they prescibed him Frontline and Heartgard. Then, at the last minute, they changed the precriptions for another called "revolution", which is supposed to protect against fleas, ticks, ear mites, heartworm, etc. It is applied the same way as Frontline... It comes in individual dosing tubes and is applied to the back of the base of the neck. Anyway, not knowing any better (and assuming my vet is an educated professional in the field of veterinary medicine) I take the prescription home and put it on Diesel around 10pm a couple of days later.

About 2 hours after putting the medicine on him, he is sound asleep. I get up out of bed for something (I know, he sleeps in bed with me--is that wierd?) and he doesn't follow me, which is VERY wierd for D... He follows me everywhere! So I call his name and gently nudge him a bit, and I get NO REACTION. I finally lift him up and he is COMPLETELY LIMP. I frantically revive him, put him in the tub to wash him off (even though the medicine is fully absorbed after 2 hours) and start trolling the internet to see if this is a common reaction to this medication. I would have gone to the vet, but it was the middle of the night and I really didn't know what to do.

Needless to say, I stayed awake all night listening to him breathe and took him to the vet first thing in the morning. They said that what happened to D is not a common reaction, did some blood tests, and kept him at the vet all day monitoring his condition. Thankfully, all of the tests turned out to be fine, so I took him home that afternoon.

Have any of you had similar experiences with revolution or other medications? What do you give your Yorkies to protect them from heartworm and fleas? Is the Frontline/Heartgard combo the way to go? I'll never use that revolution crap again!
Julie822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!