View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutann View Post
I was wondering if anybody had an answer to why my 5 mo old puppy always wants to lick/scratch her behind. She will be playing and then just stop suddenly and do her own thing back there. I try not to put her on foods with whole wheat flour because I heard it can give them allergies. I'm a new Yorkie owner and am confused. I have her on Science Diet Puppy Small and give her Nutri-Cal Supplements once a day. She weighs 7.7 lbs and doesn't appear to be "fat" because I can feel her ribs. Also,what is the opinion of having her neutered? The vet told me that every cycle she has increases her changes of breast cancer? Is this true. However, is it better to let her have a litter first. Will it calm her down or make her hyper if she doesn't have puppies. Someone with experience please advise. I don't know what to do and the vet keeps asking me. I would appreciate anyone that can help and give me advise. Thank you...Peanut's mommie Sheryl.
Science Diet is not a good food and it's possible that it's causing some allergic reaction. Although if she's licking/scratching her ACTUAL behind, it's possible she has worms or her anal glands need to be expressed and she has some irritation. I responded to you on a different thread about this but she does not need to be given Nutrical every day.

And, unless you plan on breeding her, you should absolutely get her spayed. Your vet is right, her chances of cancer significantly increase with every heat cycle. It is a myth that dogs need to have a litter first.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!