Thread: White spots
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
rrosenberry
& Bailey & Bella
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiegold
You're thinking of Joan Gordon's book. A small star on the chest she believes is an indication that the coat carries the correct gene for pigmentation and the colors will clear correctly. I'd have to check, but I'm not so sure about the feet and toenails. We'll see what other breeders have to say about that. She goes on to say a couple of paragraphs later that patches of white on an adult are highly undesirable. I've never seen a Yorkie puppy or adult in the show ring with any kind of white on them, so I think most show breeders have bred this out to a large degree. There is a line of Yorkies from Europe, Germany, I believe that are tri-color and have about 1/3 of their color as white. I know that many people like them, but I don't see a Yorkie when I look at them. I also kept a puppy from our last litter that had a nice star on her chest, but now at 14 months her head color still hasn't cleared and her body is still quite black. It seems to have the correct texture and is straight as a stick, but I'm still waiting for the blue. One of her great-aunts didn't break blue until she was 18 months.

Every line breaks color differently and sometimes, you just have to wait and see. I wouldn't be afraid of a small white patch on a puppy if the parents/grandparents' color is good.
Thanks for the info,, Bailey is 15 months and his back is still very dark,,, good to know.

~Anatole France~
rrosenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!