Thread: Liver shunts
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
cley
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Post Liver shunts

Hello everybody! I'm new to this site and new at even posting on line so forgive my mistakes. My Mia is 9 months old. We go her when she was 2 months and the second day I had her she had a seizure, a few days after that and she had hypoglycemia and when she was 3 1/2 months old she went into a coma for about an hour and our vet. sent us to the small animal hospital at the near by university where the said she very probably had a liver shunt and wanted to keep her for several days and do some extensive testing and surgery or they could treat her condition with medication and a diet (hill's l/d). We decided to try the diet since that was the least expensive because the surgery was $3500 or more depending on the shunt or shunts. I have done some research and found a university about 12 hours from me that is alot cheaper and I'm considering letting her have the surgery. She is doing fine now except some days she doesn't want to eat and we have trouble with the hypoglycemia but I give her some karo syrup and she gets okay. Has any one known of a dog that has underwent the surgery?
cley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!