View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Default Raw and The Honest Kitchen, anyone?

Hey guys. I am thinking of switching the boys' food again...

I started them on NV raw at the end of October, which they have done so well on. Ryder has gained some weight and his condition improved a ton, and Ranger lost the few ounces he needed to lose, and his coat looks better than ever.

The problem is that he still has occasionaly GI upsets, and while we were at the vet's this afternoon, we had a talk about nutrition. He knows that I have been feeding raw, and hasn't said much about it till now. Well I had to take Ranger in this afternoon because he threw up a few times and it's always better safe than sorry. Anyway, he said he was really concerned about Ranger and the raw food because of his sensitive system. He urged me to microwave the food to 130 degrees to kill any pathological bacteria that may effect him. To me, that kills the point of feeding raw.

Anyway, I came home and started researching, and came across the Honest Kitchen, which I have heard good things about. It seems like a win-win as the meat and eggs are dehydrated at a higher temp to kill that bacteria, but the rest of the ingredients remain raw.

Does anyone feed this? If so, I am really confused about the feeding guidelines.. it says for "up to 10 lbs" feed 1/2 cup. Is that a half cup dry or rehydrated? What about for 3lbs? How much water to do use to hydrate it? How did you determine the amount to feed? Any other suggestions, tips, comments? I really appreciate it guys, thank you in advance!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!