View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
MeAndMyOlivia
YT Addict

For starters - he is NOT allowed on the chair, period. Apparently there is a connection between him being up on the chair (he liked to sit up on top of the chair back, level with my head) and him feeling like the chair is his possession. If he gets on the chair (even if I am not sitting on it) I tell him "down". The first couple days, he growled/barked and I had to force him down, but now he does get down on verbal command. Actually, this evening he hasn't even tried to get up - that's progress! And he isn't allowed to get on ANY furniture...one of the articles said to keep them on the floor at all times. It's very interesting; he does seem to understand that his place is on the floor now and he actually seems more content, not as fidgety or nervous. I am hoping that at some point in the future when the issues are resolved, he can come sit with me again....I enjoy that as much as the furbabies do!

I keep his toys picked up; if I give him a toy, he has to sit for it first. Same with treats - he has to work for them. It's the NILIF method (Nothing In Life Is Free).

He's a real challenge; my Olivia is such a sweet, laid-back little girl - I wanted a little guy so much....I guess I got a triple-dose of little guy! LOL
I know how upsetting it is though...and scary. Especially since you've had him for a while. Do research on "resource guarding"; I'm sure you will find it helpful. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by MeAndMyOlivia; 12-21-2008 at 08:04 PM.
MeAndMyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!