View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
YorkieLove77
YT Addict

Default Please help...potty training issue

My JoJo is 15 weeks old and I've been potty training him on pee pads. Mainly because I live on a second floor apartment and also because it's really cold outside and there's a lot of snow.

Anyhow, I got him at 8 weeks and immediately started training him to go on the pad by putting him on there and saying "go pee". He got it almost immediately! I was so proud of him. One day around 10 weeks old we were playing on the floor (to this day he is never on the floor to roam around himself unless I am right there with him because he'll get into anything!) and he started sniffing and walked right over to his pad and did it without my command. I was so proud and started praising him like crazy. Soon after, I decided to get him an X-pen so he didn't have to be cooped up in his crate all day while I was at work. I put his pad in there on one side, along with his bed, toys and food/water on the other sides.

Well, here's my problem. I know he knows what the pee pad is for because he will go on it most of the time...both pee and poop. BUT...probably about once in every three times he will pee/poop about a foot away from it right on the floor. At first I thought it was maybe that he had the right intention, as in his front paws were on the pad and he just missed, but then the other day I put him in there to play while I cleaned and I witnessed him and he just squatted and went...totally off the pad. At first I thought maybe he prefers a less-soiled pad, so I started changing it more often, but then I came home one day and he had peed on the floor and there was not a drop on the pad!

I'm so frustrated. By the way, I still take him personally to the pad throughout the day and say "go pee", and he'll go and get a treat and tons of praise. So it's not like I'm slacking on my training...at least I don't think I am! I know he's still very young, but my boyfriend is making me feel like a bad mommy telling me that I don't know how to train a dog and if he doesn't get it by 6 months he's gonna get rid of him!!! I keep trying to explain to him that it can take a year to potty train yorkies but he's stubborn and said he's had dogs all his life and they all got it right away, and yorkies are no different. Ughhhh.

Please help me. I'm getting so discouraged and incredibly sad thinking that my baby will have to leave me...it's an unbearable thought! I've only had him 7 weeks but I love him more than anything already! So please, I'll take any advice..thank you!!
YorkieLove77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!